[foaf-dev] privacy and open data

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 11:27:10 GMT 2008

Story Henry wrote:
> Dear Semantic Web community,
> =

>   1. either return different representations of the requested resource =

> depending on who is viewing the information

This is along the lines of what I'd been considering for OpenQabal, but
to be honest, I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet.

>   2. have different resources be responsible for different subsets of =

> the data and create rdf:seeAlso links between them. Some of these =

> resources would only be accessible to certain user agents (UA).

Interesting approach.  How well defined are the semantics of seeAlso =

now? Would this conflict with the intended use of seeAlso or with =

anything that's already in use in the wild?

I'm also trying to think of how querying would work with this.  Let's
say I want to query "my social graph" out to depth n, to see if I'm
connected to someboby named "John Doe."  Any thoughts on how something
like that might fit in with either of these approaches?

Hmm..  thinking about it further, that question would probably depend
on whether the total data to be queried was spread across multiple
completely unrelated domains, or if some or all of it was on servers
that had an agreement to "talk" to each other via another channel.
If the former, there's not much choice but to grab the FOAF, dereference
links as necessary, load more FOAF, query, lather-rinse-repeat. If it =

were the latter, the server that received the initial query could use
whatever means it has, do the query and just return the correct FOAF (or =

an error code).

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes