[foaf-dev] bio information, openID, etc

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Mar 25 12:39:12 GMT 2008

Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil at kjernsmo.net> Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:46:51
>Several auxiliary vocabularies can and is used alongside FOAF, and one
>of them is http://vocab.org/bio/0.1/ . It has support for
>a "one-line-bio", which seems what you are asking for. It has also
>support for birth information, etc.

+1 for bio and vcard and geo namespaces. All commonly used to extend
foaf.

>> Partial disclosure: I am particularly interested in methods of
>> identifying who is requesting the information, and disclosing
>> none/some or all of it depending on who is asking. E.g. a person may
>> disclose their age in years (or conversely, just day and month of
>> birth) to everyone, but keep their precise date of birth only for
>> authenticated friends.
>
>That's an interesting problem to explore.

And not just in FOAF. Lots of people would like to be able to enter
birthyear, or Birthday but not year. Social Network sites rarely allow
this. And I suspect this is because the developers had a single field
for birthday as an INT using the unix timestamp.

>> but is there a standard or
>> preferred way of verifying who is requesting the data? Is openID the
>> way to do this? It must be tied into the FOAF XML since the listed
>> friends  are the ones who can have privileged access.
>
>This is also an interesting problem, and yes, I think I would have
>looked to OpenID for a solution.

Much more likely to be oAuth as the consuming system is an application
rather than a user.

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:          http://www.ecademy.com/      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433