[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Mar 25 12:48:26 GMT 2008

On 25 Mar 2008, at 13:15, Anthony Steele wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>> I am not sure if you actually want to pass this information to your
>> "trusted" friends, because maybe they won't use it properly.
>>
>> But what I could image would make sense is if Bob trusts Alice and
>> hence
>> passes her his phone number, but wants to tell Alice not to pass this
>> information to anyone else and for this one would need some standard.
>>
>> Is this the usecase which you had in mind?
>>

> sadly I don't think that there is any technological solution to
> this. If Bob tells Alice something, there is really no way to stop
> Alice repeating it if Alice wishes - Alice could forward it, cut and
> paste it, let someone read it off the screen over her shoulder,
> print it out, etc. etc.

agree

> It's a social networking lesson that we learn at an early age: If
> you tell your friends your secrets, first be sure that you can trust
> your friends not to repeat them.

There is an interesting little twist to this.

If I tell someone Jane a secret and she tell this to someone else
Anna, then Anna has to trust that Jane told the truth. The further
this goes on, the less reliable the information.

Same with the semweb. If I publish my foaf file, then I am taking
responsibility for what is being said there. People will link to me or
not depending on their trust in the information I publish. In fact if
I make false statements, people will be under pressure to unlink from
me, because this will mess up the meshups gathered from this
information by other people along the road of linked data. [1].

This also means that saying something about someone else is a
responsibility. If you say something about me, say you give out my
address, then you are responsible for keeping that information up to
date, and maintaining it. The more information you have to maintain,
the more responsibility you have. Now if the information I publish is
accessible to only a select group, then there is no way for people to
verify that the information you are publishing is correct, and so you
will have to defend my private information. But since it is private
information, that only I can defend, say who my friends are, then you
are in a position of having to defend something that you cannot
defend. And hence linking to you is bad karma.

In short these issues might, like wikipedia, work themselves out
through peer pressure. That is how the web works. I don't link to
people I don't trust.

	Henry

[1] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/beatnik_change_your_mind