[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Mar 25 15:45:43 GMT 2008

Having played with the work of others who _think_ "in the openid paradigm",=
 Im not sure I agree with your egneral openid sentiment.

- users and designers certainly do not express their worldview in terms of =
graphs. So RDF religion is not "embedded" at the doctrinal level.

- the transitive nature of the core FOAF relation (and the own functional m=
appins to owl:id properties) is also not addressed directly - thats for FOA=
F to do for HTTP URIs. For XRI-form URIs, a competing contact management se=
rvice (with n social graphs) is apparantly emerging. Its hard to say that o=
penid planned this - it simply comes with the adoption of the XRI name-form=
 as an openid.

- openid folks seem to have agreed that its not for openid to standardize a=
ny kind of trust model for parties, for attrbute flow, or security. Its for=
 the likes of the FOAF community to agument openid with policy controls, us=
ing what ever policy calculus (and a practical albegra, please!) that folks=
 come up. In the security literature, there are hundereds of proposals for =
infoflow logics, developed over the last 20 years. Some of them (sutherland=
, denning) are more respected than others: all are pretty academic - or nev=
er left military/natsec applications. (Of course, quad stores are included =
in this set.)