[foaf-dev] Re: privacy and open data

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Mar 25 16:13:27 GMT 2008

Hi Benji,

This approach looks very promising.

On 25 Mar 2008, at 15:51, Benjamin Nowack wrote:

> Hi,
> Here is the approach I intend to take in the knowee project[1]
> (called "RDFAuth", still not fully fleshed-out):
> * Which (parts of) resource descriptions are served to which
>   groups is not public, and not part of the spec, but defined in the
>   app context.
> * a (partly) protected resource description is served with an
> additional
>   HTTP Basic Auth (WWW-Authenticate) header to indicate that more
>   information is available. (As has been pointed out on this list,
>   WWW-Authenticate can be sent along a "200 OK".)
> * A client can send a token (as username) and a personal
>   identifier (as password), encoded as a BasicAuth response.

could the username be a foaf id? Say in my case:

http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me

the personal identifier (password) could then be the URI (+ some
token?) of the requested resource
encrypted with the pgp private key available from my foaf file

:me  is wot:identity of [ a wot:PubKey;
                           wot:pubkeyAddress <http://bblfish.net/people/henry/henry.pubkey.asc
 >;
                           wot:fingerprint
"0DF560B5DADF6D348CC99EA0FD76F60D4CAE10D7";
                           wot:hex_id "4CAE10D7";
                           wot:length 1024 ] .

The server would then just need to get the foaf file, find the pgp
public key, to verify that the request
does indeed come from the owner of the foaf file.

> * Based on this information, the server determines the RDFAuth
> endpoint
>   associated with the sent identifier (via "follow your nose" or a
> local
>   query of already existing/trusted information), verifies the token
>   against the RDFAuth endpoint, and decides whether the protected
>   information should be served or not, based (again) on available/
> trusted
>   RDF data and internal rules (e.g. whether the identified client is
> member
>   of a certain foaf:Group etc.).

Sounds like the above interaction would fit your description.

> That's as simple and close to existing mechanisms as I could get it.
> Unlike OpenID and oAuth, there is no need for redirects, so RDFAuth
> works
> for non-browser agents, which was my main requirement. A token can
> also be
> generated before the actual request is being made, to further reduce
> the
> amount of HTTP requests. The identifier can be an OpenID, a
> homepage, or
> some other RDF-friendly personal URI. The token consists of three
> (encoded)
> parts: the target realm, the RDFAuth endpoint that generated the
> token, and
> the actual token value. What's still missing is the RDFAuth endpoint's
> protocol, i.e. how exactly a token should be verified, and how the
> reponse
> should look like.

I am working on a Semantic Web client called Beatnik at
https://sommer.dev.java.net/
  and would like to implement something like this.

Do you have some more info? Perhaps I can get this implemented before
May 5 for JavaOne.

Henry