[foaf-dev] Re: privacy and open data

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 17:30:33 GMT 2008

Phil Archer wrote:
> Henry, all,
> =

> I've jumped back to the start of this thread to raise an additional =

> concern/use case about the whole issue of data portability and privacy =

> protection.
> =

> I've been told many times that once asserted, an RDF triple persists =

> until the entropic heath death of the universe. =

Never heard that before, but I'm hardly a guru at this stuff.  Sounds
ridiculous at first blush though.  All sorts of data changes that might
be expressed in RDF.

> Therefore any privacy =

> protection system that depends on triples, at least in theory, cannot =

> support the rather human practices of growing up, changing one's mind, =

> changing jobs etc.

Yeah, that definitely sounds bustificated.

> =

> If I allow my e-mail address to be seen by anyone who is no more than 2 =

> hops from my FOAF file, I would want that check be carried out in real =

> time so that if I deleted someone from my FOAF file, the permission =

> would not be granted. But does this break the Semantic model?

Seems like it should be possible to use reification and make the =

permission statement part of another triple with some expiration =

information or something?

> =

> In short, any privacy control needs to support changing circumstances.

Definitely.

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes