[foaf-dev] RDF triples live forever (was: privacy and open data)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 21:18:32 GMT 2008

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi Phil,
> =

> On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Phil Archer wrote:
>> Imagine a teenage girl who is being abused at home. She uses her
>> social network to call for help. Luckily, she finds it and manages to
>> escape the dangerous home life. Now she wants to keep in touch with
>> her new support network but become invisible to her former abuser.
> =

> As Kingsley hinted, she would need another URI. =

Yeah, I don't see that being a tenable proposition when we're talking
about identities.  I'm not sure where the "RDF triples last until the =

entropic heath death of the universe" assertion comes from, but I really
question if that's valid reasoning.  Probably the semantic web experts =

have spent more time thinking about this stuff than I have, but that =

just does not seem realistic.  I can see saying "a triple stays valid
until the entropic heat death of the universe OR until superceded" maybe.

Seems like it should work out in practice anyway though. If I go out
and pull down a FOAF file and load it into a reasoner, I'm not going
to literally cache those triples in memory (or anywhere else) forever.
In fact, for many classes of problems, it seems like you'd go get the
FOAF/RDF once, reason on it, then throw it away, fetching it again when
needed.

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes