[foaf-dev] RDF triple assertions live forever?

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu Mar 27 08:41:56 GMT 2008

On 26 Mar 2008, at 22:24, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Semantic Web community:
>
> In a discussion that has arisen recently on the foaf-dev list,
> somebody
> pointed out that they've been told that RDF triples live forever.
> That is, once something is asserted it is considered asserted until,
> as it
> was put, "the entropic heat death of the universe."

This is wrong. In a linked data scenario rdf triples are fetched via
HTTP which contains headers specifying the validity of the statement.
Clearly this information needs to be taken into account when storing
the information.

For more details see

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/it_s_all_about_context

and

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/beatnik_change_your_mind

That is why you need quad stores, such as Sesame 2 to do data
aggregation.

REally nice in fact is that this gives you a lot of power

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/opening_sesame_with_networked_graphs