[gnome-bluetooth] Major changes into CVS

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Sat Nov 1 11:13:35 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 23:26, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I fixed a few buglets in the build for gnome-bluetooth along the way.

Thanks

> > The main obstacle I'm trying to get round is that device inquiry is a
> > long and seemingly uninterruptible process using BlueZ on Linux.
>
> What do you mean about uninterruptible? Does crash the stack, leave it
> unusable, or is that that you can only launch the inquiry and not stop
> it? If the latter, the easiest would be to just let the thing die in the
> background :)

The situation is that the kernel call for doing an HCI inquiry blocks,
for about 10 seconds.  Additionally, if you interrupt it with another
HCI request the results are undefined.  This means that we cannot
currently initiate a scan without blocking the user from doing any more
operations until it's done.

I asked on the bluez-users list, and Marcel sent some code to do HCI
inquiries asynchronously.  I'm going to take a look at this today, and
hopefully I can integrate it with the glib event loop and eliminate
threads.  This should mean a more responsive user experience.

-- Edd