[gnome-bluetooth] libbtctl changes

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Fri Sep 26 08:55:14 BST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 00:35, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Replying to myself,
>
> Attached is another patch (without a ChangeLog just yet :)
>
> The python bindings didn't work, and they do now.
>
> - rename Btctl and BtctlClass to BtctlObject and BtctlObjectClass so
> that they're namespaced (fixes the bindings generation)

OK, I see why this is needed.  For others following along at home, the
bindings generator treats the first bit (Btctl) as a namespace and uses
the second bit as the object name.

However, this would mean the Btctl object simply became called Object(),
as your btlist.py shows, which sucks a bit if we ever want to add
something else into the namespace, and it is really a confusingly
general name.  As renaming is basically a search-and-replace job, and it
seems we must break the API/ABI, let's take the time to get it right.

I suggest the name "Controller", so we get BtctlController,
BtctlControllerClass etc, but I'm open to any suggestions.

> - made btctl_object_get_type return a GType (would have ended with
> issues on 64-bit platforms)

Ah cool, that's a good spot.

> - added btlist.py (same as btlist.c, used to test the python bindings)
> - fix the python module linking
>
> Let me know what you think (especially as it breaks bin-compat...)

Thanks for your hard work!  I'm willing to break the API compat for the
sake of the bindings.  We should probably bump the SONAME, though:
although we've not reached 1.0 several distributions seems to have
packaged this stuff and depend on it.

-- Edd