[gnome-bluetooth] First Attempt

Daryll Strauss daryll at daryll.net
Sun Apr 11 08:14:30 BST 2004

I recently got a Motorola V600 phone and a Racewood Bluetooth dongle.
After some futzing around I figured out how to get the dongle talking to
the phone. I can make my phone discoverable and scan finds the phone.
The first odd thing is that the phone's addr comes back as
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. That's a pretty suspicious number, but it does seem
to work.

Using that, I can use sdptool browse to get the phone's features:
Browsing FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF ...
Service RecHandle: 0x0
Service Class ID List:
  "SDP Server" (0x1000)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "SDP" (0x0001)
Profile Descriptor List:
  "" (0x1000)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Dial-up networking Gateway
Service Description: Dial-up networking Gateway
Service Provider: AT&T Wireless
Service RecHandle: 0x10001
Service Class ID List:
  "Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 1
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
  code_ISO639: 0x6672
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd800
  code_ISO639: 0x6573
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd803
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Voice Gateway
Service Description: Headset Audio Gateway
Service Provider: AT&T Wireless
Service RecHandle: 0x10003
Service Class ID List:
  "Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)
  "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 3
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
  code_ISO639: 0x6672
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd800
  code_ISO639: 0x6573
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd803
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Hands-Free voice gateway
Service Description: Hands-Free voice gateway
Service Provider: AT&T Wireless
Service RecHandle: 0x10007
Service Class ID List:
  "" (0x111f)
  "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 7
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
  code_ISO639: 0x6672
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd800
  code_ISO639: 0x6573
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd803
Profile Descriptor List:
  "" (0x111f)
    Version: 0x0101

Service Name: OBEX Object Push
Service Description: OBEX Object Push
Service Provider: AT&T Wireless
Service RecHandle: 0x10008
Service Class ID List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 8
  "OBEX" (0x0008)
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
  code_ISO639: 0x6672
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd800
  code_ISO639: 0x6573
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd803
Profile Descriptor List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX File Transfer
Service Description: OBEX File Transfer
Service Provider: AT&T Wireless
Service RecHandle: 0x10009
Service Class ID List:
  "OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 9
  "OBEX" (0x0008)
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
  code_ISO639: 0x6672
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd800
  code_ISO639: 0x6573
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0xd803
Profile Descriptor List:
  "OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
    Version: 0x0100

Then I had a hard time getting gnome-obex-send to work. Then I noticed
that it was using channel 0 to send. I took a WAG and tried adding
--channel=8 to the command line, and voila I could send a picture to the
phone. Another odd thing is that once I did that once, I didn't have to
include --channel on the command line anymore, because it used channel 8
all by itself. I suspect I'm missing something on a config file
somewhere.

At this point I'm sort of stuck. I tried using bluetooth:/// and nothing
happened. The window remains empty. I don't see a phone. So without that
I can't figure out how to get files off the phone. It's a picture phone
so I'd like to get pictures off it. Once I can sort of browse the phone
with gnome-bluetooth, I suspect I can figure out the rest of my
questions.

Edd thanks for all the work. It seems really close to what I want, if I
can clear the last few hurdles.

						- |Daryll