[gnome-bluetooth] gnome-phone-manager rocks !

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Thu Dec 23 10:13:05 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 23:46 +0100, Jérôme Petazzoni wrote:
> Congratulations for this nice application (and the libraries that come
> with it), and thanks for the Debian packaging, too ! :-)
>
> A few questions :
>
> - is it technically possible to get SMS notification *without* marking
> the message as "read" in the cellphone ?

This seems to depend on the cellphone concerned.  So, I don't think so,
but if you file a bug in GNOME Bugzilla it will remind me to take a
closer look when I have time.

> - is it technically possible to "manually" mark the message as "read" in
> the cellphone (for instance when the user clicks on "ok" or "reply"), so
> if the PC or the application crashes, the user won't lose any SMS ?

I've never experienced this problem before.  The GNOME Phone Manager
crashing in itself is a bug anyway.  With my Ericsson phones the SMS is
never deleted from the phone itself.  Maybe Nokia kit is different, but
I don't have any to test with.

> (If that's the standard behaviour of the program, then it doesn't work
> on my Nokia 6230)
>
> Also, can the DUN be active concurrently with the SMS notification tool,
> or are they mutually exclusive ?

That again is device dependent.  Mostly though the answer is "no", as
your cellphone will have only one emulated serial port available.

-- Edd