[gnome-bluetooth] Bluetooth Configuration, new prototype

Fredrik Noring noring at nocrew.org
Sun Jan 25 13:17:30 GMT 2004

Edd,

Attached a prototype patch to show new features in the "GNOME Bluetooth
Device Viewer". I've made it a "Bluetooth Configuration" application and
so there are four sections (of which none is actually working except
"Remote devices"):

   Hardware - Much like the Gnome "Network Configuration"
      application. Shows Bluetooth hardware devices like
      this:

          Status   Device   Nickname   Type
          Active   hci0     BlueZ (0)  USB device

      Editing hci0 may for example provide a "Nickname"
      setting.

   Local Services - Selects the services that the computer
      will provide to other Bluetooth devices. Looks like
      this:

          Service Name   Startup   Secure Connection
          File Transfer  Auto      Not required

      Editing the "File Transfer" service may for example
      provide "Exchange folder location" and so on.

   Remote Devices - Much like the current "Device Viewer"
      except I made the scrollers "automatic" to save space,
      renamed "Scan" to "Search for devices" and removed
      the "Help" and "Close" buttons (moved to the menu).
      I imagine this section could manage paired devices
      and so on.

   Security - Sets the "Security manager mode" and "Pairing
      mode".

There's a toolbar at the top to create, edit and remove items. I think
it might be useful much like the "Network Configuration" application
to manage hardware, local services and remote devices.

I suspect administrative (root) privileges will be required to manage
most of these settings.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks,
Fredrik