[gnome-bluetooth] What stuff in gnome-bluetooth does, and ideas for its future

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Fri Jan 30 18:57:12 GMT 2004

Hi Jim,

>  I don't know much about this area yet, so this may be useless
> information, but there is a /proc/bluetooth (see below)
> which contains among other things:
>

> proc/1$cat /proc/bluetooth/hci/0/inquiry_cache
> C0:83:45:57:62:00 1 0 0 0x040250 0x390d 9624412

this is a 2.6 feature and will be moved to /sys very soon.

> (see below for fields). I assume the name<->device pairing is
> a usermode thing, thus not appropriate for handling in the kernel;
> please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is right. The kernel don't need the device name and so it don't
cares about it. As a general rule, put only that into kernel space that
you really need there. A problem would also be to make the name cache
(or a kernel link key db) survive reboots.

>  I agree that sockets should be in /tmp, or at any rate not in
> /etc, which should be mountable read-only if desired.

Another reason is that /tmp is cleared on boot.

Regards

Marcel