[gnome-bluetooth] Re: [Bluez-devel] What stuff in gnome-bluetooth does, and ideas for its future

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Fri Jan 30 19:06:21 GMT 2004

Hi Eugene,

> > the best place for Unix sockets is /tmp
>
> Or /var/<something>, and not only sockets, but other variable data as
> well.  /etc may be on a read-only filesystem.  Imagine a bluetooth
> gadget based on Linux burnt in ROM.

No. The /tmp directory will be cleared on every boot and the Unix socket
must not survive reboots. We can use /var/bluetooth for our databases.

> (I continue to think that binary helper is a viable option for the low
> level interface.  It is very scalable: "lean" implementation for very
> simple environments may be cut down to just a few lines of shell
> script.  "Rich" implementation may use whatever database, and/or relay
> requests to other programs over D-BUS, or CORBA, or anything...)

Calling an extra program for every transaction "costs" too much and it
raises too many security issues. If you talk about the PIN helper I
think we would have in future per BD_ADDR stored PIN's, D-BUS and
calling a helper script.

Regards

Marcel