[gnome-bluetooth] Bluetooth manager project

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Apr 24 13:19:36 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:02 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>
> > I thought a couple of people might be interested (in fact, I've already
> > received a few mails about it).
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/BluetoothManager
> >
> > I hope that the project can run as a Summer of Code project, but there
> > are already a few (relatively) easy tasks that could be implemented by
> > volunteers before the project starts, especially the first "page".
> >
> > Feel free to answer to this mail if you're interested in implementing
> > parts of the manager.
>
> all implementations should use the new D-Bus interface only. Using the
> Bluetooth library from BlueZ is not portable. For the configuration of
> the local adapters, searching for new devices and handling trusted
> devices everything is already in place.

Sounds fair. But libbtctl currently uses bluez-libs directly. We'll be
migrating to the D-Bus bindings as it goes, but throwing away all the
work already done would be a waste of time (especially given that the D-
Bus interface isn't available in any released distros).

> For the file sharing a D-Bus enabled OBEX server (OPP, FTP and even BIP)
> is needed. Feel free to post thoughts about an interface for it to the
> BlueZ developer mailing list.

Right now we're using the bluez-libs and openobex for gnome-obex-server
and gnome-obex-send, and unless there are major breakages, we don't
intend to switch to a d-bus based server.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
Lucas has made a vacuous, boring, pretentious, retroactively destructive