[gnome-bluetooth] Celluon Laserkey Bluetooth Keyboard

Chris S chrisspen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 13:42:00 UTC 2006

First, I apologize if this is off-topic for this list, but I'm not
sure where to post general Bluetooth+Linux related questions.

I recently bought a Celluon CL800BT Bluetooth keyboard/mouse
(http://celluon.com/products/laserkey.htm?sm=2_1) and I'd like to use
it in Linux (Fedora Core 5). I've tried the Gnome and KDE utilities,
but haven't had much luck. I was able to use kbluetoothd to see some
sort of "Serial Port" file on the device, but I wasn't able to do
anything further. I've also gotten some feedback from hcitool and hidd:

$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:0B:24:40:C7:83       CL800BT
$ hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
        00:0B:24:40:C7:83       clock offset: 0x3ab6    class: 0x400210
$ hcitool info 00:0B:24:40:C7:83
Requesting information ...
        BD Address:  00:0B:24:40:C7:83
        Device Name: CL800BT
        LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x291
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
                <3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot
offset>
                <park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2
packets>
                <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging
scheme>
                <power control> <transparent SCO>
$ hidd --connect 00:0B:24:40:C7:83
Connected to 00:0B:24:40:C7:83 on channel 1
Press CTRL-C for hangup
Unknown event code 165
Unknown event code 165
Unknown event code 1
Unknown event code 0
Unknown event code 0
Unknown event code 0
Unknown event code 1
Unknown event code 255
Unknown event code 1
Unknown event code 18
Unknown event code 0
Unknown event code 1
Unknown event code 255
Unknown event code 255
Unknown event code 255
Unknown event code 0
Unknown event code 1

The last part is interesting, because the three 255s repeat for every
keypresses and mouse movement made with the device.

Does this output match any known Bluetooth keyboard/mouse protocol?
How can I configure X to interpret this device as a keyboard and mouse?

I've been Googling, but I haven't found many resources on the topic,
and even less on using Bluetooth keyboards with Linux. I found the
kbdd project (http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/kbdd) but I'm not
sure if it's compatible with the CL800BT.

I have experience with C/C++ and Python, so if there's no current
software for handling this device, I could try and work
something out if someone could point me in the right direction to get
started.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris Spencer