[gnome-bluetooth] gnome-phone-manger and Nokia E65

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Oct 30 18:14:26 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 12:55 +0100, Anders Semb Hermansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying out gnome-phone-manager with my Nokia E65.
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux unstable and compiled gnome-phone-manager
> 0.30 from source.
<snip>
> Sending SMS from the applet works :)

Great!

> But I see the message:
> ** Message: driver or phone doesn't support sms notifications
>
> How can I tell if it's the phone or the driver? Should I use another
> driver? How do I change it?

In your case, it's the phone. Nokia phones that use Symbian have a
seriously crippled AT interface. For those, we'd need to use gnapplet
(I'm not sure whether gnapplet works on your specific version of the
phone).

If you have a chance to try gnapplet using gnokii directly:
http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Gnapplet_driver

It is also possible that the AT driver just doesn't like what we're
passing it, in which case, running "gnome-phone-manager --debug" would
show you the result for the AT+CNMI command.

If you can connect to the phone via minicom, or some such (use rfcomm to
create a device), you could test out AT+CNMI variants that might work.

In all cases, this is something to bring up on the gnokii list:
http://gnokii.org/support.shtml

Cheers