[gnome-bluetooth] Seamless audio switching

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Jun 19 23:59:42 CEST 2009

Hey Prudhvi,

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 16:43 -0500, Prudhvi_Tella at Dell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to work on an application that would in theory allow users
> to switch between internal sound card and Bluetooth headphones with
> just a click of button without having to go through several menus or
> little hacks. The application in theory should allow an user to start
> using a Bluetooth headset or headphones automatically through simple
> GUI by taking care of switching PulseAudio sinks and sources according
> to the user selection.

This can already be done in gnome-volume-control.

> I would like to know if adding this kind of support to gnome-bluetooth
> as a patch is better or to have a separate application. Please, let me
> know what you think.

No, not really interested in seeing this in gnome-bluetooth, though I
seem to remember a third-party PulseAudio applet that could maybe do
that.

See:
http://code.google.com/p/gnome-pulse-applet/

If you have specific use cases, such as using a Bluetooth headset for
telephony applications, it should be handled directly in
gnome-volume-control, with help from PulseAudio.

Cheers