[gnome-bluetooth] bluetooth-applet discontinued?

Andrés G. Aragoneses knocte at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:07:59 EST 2014

On 15 January 2014 19:07, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:

> > I guess blueman is hosted in launchpad[1] but...
> >

> > > Or, even better, use GNOME 3 with builtin Bluetooth support :)
> >
> > Can you tell me where exactly is the code for GNOME3's bluetooth
> > device
> > management?
>
> It's in gnome-shell, gnome-control-center for the UI parts, and
> gnome-bluetooth for the backend code.

Alright! Naive question then: where can I see a simple program sample of
gnome-bluetooth's library usage?
What I've found for now is this [1], which sadly doesn't work[2].

And I have another question: if I develop something that uses
gnome-bluetooth backend, would this work in Ubuntu out of the box? I ask
this because in this blog post [3] you say that BlueZ v5 is what is being
used, however the version of the bluez package of Trusty Tahr 14.04 (last
snapshot I've tried) has only version 4.101. Would this mean
incompatibility?

I also have another question wrt obex: I've noticed that the "browse
devices..." command in blueman calls under the hood nautilus to simply open
a URI with the obex:// scheme. So I'm wondering, if I need to do an app
that sends and receives files from a phone via bluetooth, how should I do
it? Does gnome-bluetooth provide me with the necessary API to do that or do
I have to use gvfs somehow to interact with this protocol?

> Killswitch support in gnome-settings-daemon.

What's killswitch?

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/DBusClientSamples
[2]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21138814/updated-bluez-dbus-api-document