[phpxmlrpc] entity changes

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Fri May 30 16:45:57 BST 2003

Jeff Barr <jeff at vertexdev.com> wrote:
>Ok, that makes sense. I did some digging and it looks like the offending
>code is:
>                        case $xmlrpcString:
>                                 $rs.="<${typ}>" . htmlentities($val).
>"</${typ}>";
>                                 break;
>
>In xmlrpcval::serializeData. Do I simply need to write a function to replace
>htmlentities? It would basically do what htmlspecialchars does,
>and then translate everything that's non-ASCII into numeric entities. This
>should not be too hard to do with strtr.

Just saw this come flying in the inbox. This issue is a major PITA when
generating RSS with PHP as well. htmlentities() uses the old html entity
table not any of the new-fangled XML entity tables. And underlying this
is a whole rant about the sense or nonsense of encoding the payload into
XML in order to use an XML envelope and distribution protocol, whether
it's RSS, XMLRPC or SOAP (or REST, heh!).

If you do write an xmlentities() function do please release it and tell
us all. It would come in handy in lots of situations.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433