R: [phpxmlrpc] About xmldoc and ISO-8859-1...

Gaetano Giunta giunta.gaetano at sea-aeroportimilano.it
Wed Nov 24 05:22:18 PST 2004

Sorry, I think you're posting on the wrong mailing list.
This one is for discussing the xmlrpc protocol implementation, not general XML issues.
Anyway, there are some tips below

bye
Gaetano

Hard to tell: there is too little context information.

Where does this xml chunk come from? Is it generated by PHP, taken from a file, received from the web or what?

Is this shown in a browser via HTTP? If so, since the charset is not specified in the <?xml ?> tag, the charset used has to be specified in the HTTP headers.Check out the HTTP headers received with your xml page (install e.g. Mozilla with the LiveHTTPHEADERS plugin or any equivalent http sniffer / proxy)

Note: a historical cause of problems is that by the xml spec the xml charset, where not specified, should be assumed to be UTF-8. But when sending XML over HTTP, HTTP rules apply, and the default charset depends on the mime-type used (unless the charset is explicitly defined in the content-type header or inside the xml chunk itself), and for text/xml it is ISO-8859-1.

If the xml is stored on disk and you can edit it thru notepad (windoze), chances are it's ISO88959-1.
Note: some editors (e.g. Jedit or SciTE) allow you to specifi the charset to be used when saving files.

> When the formula refresh it show:

What do you mean by 'refresh'? What actions are taken?