[phpxmlrpc] xmlrpc_encode_entitites causing parse error

Gaetano Giunta giunta.gaetano at sea-aeroportimilano.it
Tue Nov 15 09:11:31 GMT 2005

Brief analysis:

- the lib tries to encode all chars outside of the ASCII range as 'XML character entity' when serializing

- this has the main benefit that such an xml is valid regardless of the charset assumed by the parser, i.e. we do not need to add a 'charset' parameter to either the HTTP Content-type header or the XML prologue

- it is also the best solution I could come up with to solve the long-standing problems with cahrset encodings (I also tried the other way round, e.g. explicitly stating the charset used for xml, in a private fork of the lib I use for personal projects, but I would rather stick with the current approach, as it solves the problem in a more elegant way)

- unfortunately, as I work with non-mbstring enabled installs by default, I assumed that internal string representation was iso-8859-1, and coded the xmlrpc_encode_entitites function accordingly

- I am now looking at the PHP man page for utf8_decode, and there are a few examples of a correct utf8-to-xmlentities functions, that might be of use

- basically, I see two options to extend the lib to make up for your problem:
  + extend the xmlrpc_encode_entitites function to take into account the xmlrpc_internalencoding global var, and use 2 different parsing alghoritms (better solution but slower)
  + add a 'workaround' solution: a class var of server/client objects that will prevent the escaping of non-ascii chars to take place.
  + note that both things could actually be combined...

Would you be willing to test the patches?

Bye
Gaetano