[phpxmlrpc] XMLRPC ping server

a.h.s. boy (lists) spudlists at nothingness.org
Mon Jan 2 15:29:58 GMT 2006

On Jan 1, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Del Dhanoa wrote:

> so if I wanted to created a ping server to accept pings from
> blogger and wordpress, which script in the lib/ directory would I
> be using?

You don't need XML-RPC for trackbacks or pingbacks...they're made
using standard HTTP requests with POST data, not XML-RPC requests. If
they were, in theory, you'd be using both the xmlrpcs.inc and
xmlrpc.inc files, but you'd have to write a custom script that
responds to the pings. The library itself just provides the
functionality of XML-RPC calls. You'd still have to write your own
scripts that specify _what_ calls it responds to, and how the

I implemented a blogging module for my CMS, and set it up to respond
to pings for trackbacks without using the XML-RPC libraries at all.
So in my CMS, if someone else's blog posts to http://www.example.com/
blog/tb/1/index.php, (the trackback URL for blog entry #1), I take
their request, store the information (contained in the $_POST array),
and

echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?

...the format is so simple, it isn't worth doing in any more
convoluted a manner.

To allow your own users to ping other blog URLs, however, might use a
custom HTTP call -- stuff the data (title, excerpt, URL) in an array,
and send a POST request to their trackback URL.

In other words, none of this needs XML-RPC at all. I followed http://
www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec for the specs.

Cheers,
spud.