[redland-dev] Does Redland do inference?

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 11:05:37 GMT 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:52:57 +0100, Daniel Elenius <danel698 at student.liu.se> wrote:

> Dave Beckett wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:21:33 +0100, Daniel Elenius <danel698 at student.liu.se> wrote:
> I looked on their Sourceforge page, and it looks like they have lots of
> releases (2.2.8 latest)... So what's the problem? When can I expect a
> Redland release with 3store?

3store has had less releases in redland if that counts as a measure (I
doubt it). The problem has just been solved 20 minutes before that you
wrote this email when 3store 2.2.13 was released.   I can't predict when
a new redland release will be out but it shouldn't be long, since I've
nearly got other things ready.  There are always nightly tarballs made
of redland between releases.

> The reason I'm asking is that I'm investigating the possibilities of
> porting a JXTA/DAML+OIL framwork that I've done (in Java) to C (or maybe
> C++).
>
> What is it that Redland lets me do that standalone 3store won't do?

3store concentrates on the storage level and making that powerful such
as handling inference and RDQL.  Redland does that and lots more
including full APIs cross multiple languages, extensive portability
tests and is mature. Both web sites can tell you more.  There is overlap
but you can decide for yourself which or both is appropriate for you.

Dave