[redland-dev] Is it possible to have afallback to other encoding?

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Oct 12 21:36:38 BST 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:37:22 +0700
Akhmad Fathonih <akhmad_f at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I just trying to code some replacement for a function written using
> libxml with redland library. The code is working, I suppose. But it
> have probelm with unknown encoding:
>
> librdf error - URI hm:1 column 30 - Raptor error - XML Parsing failed
> - unknown encoding
>
> Is it possible to have a falback to some default encoding? I don't
> know much about encoding :(. The encoding is upposed to be:
> CP1252/WINDOWS-1252 (from Microsoft?)

That's an error from libxml and not from redland.  As I recall, the set
of encodings that libxml supports varies by what you have available on
your system.  In particular, if the iconv library/function is present,
it can do more.

The XML specification includes a default encoding but it is the UTF-8
and not some specific one for one vendor - only two encodings are
required to be supported - UTF-8 and UTF-16.  You can't change that
default without changing XML for everyone.

Dave