[redland-dev] Raptor 1.4.2 (and probably earlier) compile problem on OS X

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 15:58:18 GMT 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:05:45 +0100, René Puls <rpuls+lists at kcore.de> wrote:

> when I try to compile Raptor 1.4.2 on OS X 10.3.5, I get the following
> error:
>
> raptor_rss.c:582: error: `XML_READER_TYPE_ELEMENT' undeclared (first use
> in this function)

... snip ...

> These contants are not defined in any of the libxml2 header files on OS
> X, but the configure check indicates that this version should be compatible:
>
> checking RSS Tag Soup parser requirements... yes - libxml2 2.6.7 ok
>
> I have encountered problems with the default libxml2 on OS X before. If
> I remember correctly, the installed libxml2 is slightly crippled and is
> missing some header files. But I'm not 100% sure about that.
>
> (The reason why I haven't noticed and reported this before is that I
> usually compile Raptor against a newer libxml2 version which I have
> installed manually. The compile error only happens with the system
> default libxml2.)

Yes, OSX is shipped with broken libxml2.  Don't bother with it.

The OSX one:
$ /usr/bin/xml2-config --version
2.6.7
$ /usr/bin/xml2-config --cflags
-I/usr/include/libxml2
$ ls -l /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlreader.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4544 13 Sep  2003 /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlreader.h

The real one:
$ /sw/bin/xml2-config --version
2.6.7
$ /sw/bin/xml2-config --cflags
-I/sw/include/libxml2 -I/sw/include
$ ls -l /sw/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlreader.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  10159 15 Mar  2004 /sw/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlreader.h

The OSX libxml2 headers are not 2.6.7, the size alone shows that.

$ grep LIBXML_DOTTED_VERSION /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlversion.h
 * LIBXML_DOTTED_VERSION:
#define LIBXML_DOTTED_VERSION "2.5.4"

Not a raptor bug ;)

Dave