[xml-h] Sanctioning the xhtml extension for use with application/xhtml+xm l

richard at dcs.bbk.ac.uk richard at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 11:34:10 BST 2003

Micah Dubinko writes:
 > I've been experimenting more lately with XHTML, and not the
 > backwards-compatible stuff that can pass for text/html.

Xhtml can pass for html in many places. That's part of the problem,
imho - it's both xml and html. I've been continually developing a web
robot for some time, which can recognize html and xml, and I almost
always want the xhtml parsed as though it was html - i.e. accept minor
mistakes, ignore paragraph markup, weight keywords for bold, italic, etc.
but it usually gets identified as xml.

 > I'd like to hear what folks here think about the use of the .xhtml file
 > extension, with a fixed media type mapping to application/xthml+xml. Good?

A very good idea, if enough people use it. Unfortunately, server
configured media types are frequently set wrong or never configured
at all, so are often ignored. If you can get this adopted as part of
the default Apache set-up it will be very useful.

 > Bad? Does it break anything?

Yes, anything which expects html and gets confused by xml, but much
of this is already broken with xhtml anyway :(

Richard