[xml-h] Belated introduction: Indexing

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 17:28:24 GMT 2003

At 21:17 11/02/2003 -0500, Bob DuCharme wrote:

>Then, I use some Emacs macros I've written (see "Adding Index Entries"
>in  http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/emcspsgm.html#docbook) to add the
>appropriate DocBook indexing tags. I highlight the phrase to add as an
>index entry and press ^Cx, and the phrase gets copied in between the
>inserted index tags. If it's a first level entry, I'm done; if not, I then
>press ^Cy and enter the second-level entry.

Thanks Bob. Until I find an improvement over emacs it still takes some beating.

> >What we need is a user-friendly app that shows me the markup I need to
> see and hides the >markup I dont.
>
>Here's a somewhat half-assed approach that has worked fine for me:
>underneath  "Adding Index Entries" described above is some .emacs code to
>reset the color of DocBook index tags and their contents. When I'm working
>on indexing, I set them to a color that stands out more; when I'm not, I
>set them to a color that doesn't.

That's pure double geekdom ;-)
I think Simons right, it will take some sort of special app or editor
to make this kind of thing work..

>Ideas for more interesting solutions have popped into my head when doing
>this, but anyone who happens to be working on a book index probably
>doesn't have a lot of spare time in their life that month. (Funny how many
>subscribers to this list are published authors!)

With due care, avoiding looking at Dorothea,
    I think I'd have preferred to do my own index....
    Mike Kay really got flack because of his indexer not doing a good job.

regards DaveP