[xml-h] hyperspace oddity

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Feb 25 21:10:28 GMT 2003

While surfing around some defunct XML blogs, I tripped on a link to this
piece by Sean McGrath:

http://www.itworld.com/nl/xml_prac/09122002/

I particularly like this bit:
-----------------------------------
The problem of linking things together on the Web takes an almost
vertical ascent into complexity which layer of abstraction piling on
layer of abstraction very quickly.

All you need to do is move slightly beyond the "link this to this" model
of HTML and you are in deeply complex philosophical territory. If you
doubt that this is the case, I would suggest you take a look at the
HyTime standard. The sheer size and complexity of it amply demonstrates
the enormity of problem hidden behind the simple term "linking".

Sean does have a functioning blog at:
http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com/

--
Simon St.Laurent