[xml-h] How semantic are links?

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn@rbii.com
Sat Jan 18 06:49:06 GMT 2003

On Friday 17 January 2003 07:09 pm, Bob DuCharme wrote:
> >In the latter case, you'd be relying on transformation or some
> >external link description to tell your user agent what elements are
> >links and what their semantics are.
=2E . .
> In these cases, I suppose we are telling the app
> that they're links, but what we're really telling it is "apply these
> presentation semantics to these elements, because I consider them links=
,
> and these presentation semantics work well for links."

I think all you can ever do is tell the machine how to process the markup=
=2E..=20
be it via hard-wired interpretation, or via an external specification for=
 the=20
processing to be applied. It seems obvious to me that "loose coupling" (i=
=2Ee.=20
being able to apply arbitrary processing) is a good thing.