[xml-h] link typing

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Jan 21 11:34:56 GMT 2003

Bob DuCharme scripsit:

> For a start, I'd like to forget the XLink idea of a link type
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-types) that tells you what your specific
> choice of types is ("The value must be one of 'simple', 'extended',
> 'locator', 'arc', 'resource', 'title', or 'none'."). The document designer
> should be able to pick types appropriate to the domain, and then use that
> typing information as part of link processing.

The values of xlink:type are not link types, but element types; they indicate
nothing about the link, but only indicate the (attribute) syntax of the
element to which they are attached.  In fact, all of these represent
auxiliary element types except "simple" and "extended", and these so-called
types differ only in syntax.

The true XLink representation of "link types" in the sense you mean is
xlink:role attributes.

--
Long-short-short, long-short-short / Dactyls in dimeter,
Verse form with choriambs / (Masculine rhyme):  jcowan at reutershealth.com
One sentence (two stanzas) / Hexasyllabically   http://www.reutershealth.com
Challenges poets who / Don't have the time.     --robison who's at texas dot net