[xml-h] link typing

Bob DuCharme bobdc at snee.com
Tue Jan 21 18:24:45 GMT 2003

At 1/21/03 11:48 AM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>jcowan at reutershealth.com (John Cowan) writes:
>
> >The true XLink representation of "link types" in the sense you mean is
> >xlink:role attributes.
>
>XLink piles an awful lot of stuff into attriibutes, and roles are pretty
>opaque.

John has a good point, that what I want to see (user definable link
categorization to ease large-scale link use and maintenance) is there in
XLink, it's just called "roles" instead of "types." My search of the XLink
spec was a bit too perfunctory.

Simon, I thought you'd object more to the fact that their values have to be
URIs. I personally don't have a problem with this; if I'm going to assign
all of my citation link elements a type/role value of "affirm", "reverse",
or "concur" and needed to do it with URIs I'd document them at
http://whatever/citationRoles and give them values of
http://whatever/citationRoles#affirm,
http://whatever/citationRoles#reverse, etc.

XHTML 2 has a nice concept of link types, although I don't think anyone
uses it: the rel and rev attributes, which (according to
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/abstraction.html#dt_LinkTypes) can have values
of Alternate, Stylesheet, Start, Next, Prev,
Contents, Index, Glossary, Copyright, Chapter, Section, Subsection,
Appendix, Help, and Bookmark. Just think of the possibilities if lots of
web page links had values for these attributes:   it would make the current
versions of web crawling look absolutely blindfolded. ('a' elements in
XHTML 1 had these attributes, but they were defined as being NMTOKENS, with
no values that I know of suggested for them.)

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii
(NOTE: bobdc e-mail address used only for mailing lists;
please send private e-mail to bob@)