[xml-h] RSS as transferable hypertext

Hendler, Josh Josh.Hendler at mlb.com
Fri Jan 24 13:24:55 GMT 2003

This is actually a really interesting question of how suitable RSS is as a
hypertext replacement. I guess my initial issues would be that RSS seems all
too tailored for linking to pages that fit the news or editorial paradigm.
Perhaps this is only a concern for earlier versions of RSS (.91) and not
later versions.

Other than that, I'm actually interested in the ability to have hypertext
links that can link to a variety of different types of media generalized
under the same concept. This is obviously becoming much more important as
formats vary, you may have the same link available in RealMedia, Quicktime,
etc, if you are linking to video. In the case of linking to news items, you
may have the content available in varying schemas, ie, newsml, html, etc.
The obvious question here is whether or not RSS is semantically capable of
encapsulating the concept of "one media element - multiple types of
references in differing formats". If not, then is this really something that
should be thought about in reference to hypertext?

-Josh Hendler
MLB.com