[xml-h] backlinking code, sort of

Bob DuCharme bobdc at snee.com
Wed Mar 5 23:25:53 GMT 2003

I just figured out a neat trick. You know how a key complaint of Old
Hypertext Guys about the web is that the links should be bidirectional?
Of course, two pairs of <a href="" name=""></a> elements would do it,
but here's a sort-of 1-to-many indirect backlink: paste the following
onto a page that you know is the destination of some links:

<a
href="javascript:window.location='http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=' +
window.location.href">Backlink</a>

It triggers a Google search for pages that link to the page with that
link. I was hoping to add some parameter equivalent of their "I'm
Feeling Lucky" option so that clicking the link would take you directly
to the top Google-ranked page links to the page with the above a
element, but couldn't figure it out. I did, though, find this cool
reference to Google parameters:
http://cpsearch.calpoly.edu/helpdocs/dev_assistance.html#request_parameters

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii
(NOTE: bobdc e-mail address used only for mailing lists;
please send private e-mail to bob@)