[doap-interest] doap:revision, sorting and version number notations

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Thu Jul 22 20:50:44 BST 2004

Moving a suggestion from IRC:

<danbri_dna>	edd? thought re doap:revision ... it would be good to be
able to sort on that field...
<edd>	do you mean that i need to make changes to facilitate
sorting?
<danbri_dna>	perhaps. the conventions seem chaotic.
10.1.2 etc vs floats vs stuff w/ 'a' 'b' etc mixed in...
<danbri_dna>	feeding it to 'sort' would probably work
in most cases
<edd>	one would hope projects are internally
consistent at least
<danbri_dna>	yes
[...]
-- http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/chatlogs/foaf/2004-07-22#T19-47-08

A possible use case for clarifying this corner of the vocab (eg.
looking into the countless version notations out there) is the common
desire to be able to get a list of software versions in some sensible
order. Maybe release date would be another approach.

I don't have a concrete proposal, just a sense that projects do this is
lots of different ways, which might be in tension with being confident
that this field could be fed to a simple alpha/num 'sort' algorithm of
some kind.

Use case: "Find me the latest version of ..."

cheers,

Dan