[doap-interest] doap:revision, sorting and version number notations

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Fri Jul 23 13:14:09 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 07:38 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:

> Speaking of time, is there any reason that doap:created isn't
> rdfs:range'ed to xsd:date?   In fact ... could it be dropped in favor
> of
> dc:created?

Well, I think XML schema dates are brain damaged.  I don't want
processing tools to have to understand them.  The YYYY-MM-DD profile of
ISO dates is trivially processible and understood by all.

No,  but it should be made that doap:created is a subproperty of dc:
created in the schema.  Excepting rdf: and rdfs: namespaces, there
should be no other namespaces in a "standard" DOAP description.

RDF-savvy people are of course free to do whatever they want with the
terms, but a simple DOAP description should be just that.  For better or
for worse, it's going to be a large jump for some people even to write
XML, never mind the rest of it.

The aim of the project is to get interchange of project information
going, with the advantage that it's RDF processible.  It's not to make
an RDF/OWL-centric project for its own sake.  So where possible I'll be
shifting the semantic burden onto the schema and keeping it out of the
XML that adopters have to write down.

Btw, I do very much appreciate and need all the interest and
suggestions, but I just wanted to clarify my intentions at this early
stage!

-- Edd