[doap-interest] doap:user?

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 00:00:10 UTC 2007

On 12/20/06, Benjamin Nowack wrote:
> On 20.12.2006 00:22:22, Uldis Bojars wrote:
> >We discussed a similar idea on #sioc IRC channel. I would suggest to
> >start with the other direction for this relation first - software
> >which a foaf:Person is using.

> See [1], the direction generally doesn't matter. With a DOAP-related
> prop however, it may actually matter, but should be from the project
> to the user: DOAP does a neat trick and integrates both projects

Direction does not matter for properties that are inverse of one another.

The case of "the software a person uses" is different - you may be
using software that does not have a DOAP profile yet. You could use a
FOAF property that points to a URI (e.g., a DOAP profile) or to a web
page of this software project.

If all you want to describe is "John is using OmniGraffle" then John
creating a DOAP profile for OmniGraffly may be an unwelcome overhead.
And he may not know all the information about a project. Pointing to a
web page (or a DOAP profile) is as simple as it gets.

Your use case is DOAP specific and would benefit from addition of this
property to DOAP. Main thing I want to say is that the scope of these
properties is different, they are not exact inverse of one another and
we would benefit from both of them.

Note: A property "FOAF -> DOAP" is what I had in mind when writing the
initial response. Then your comment of one direction being sufficient
would hold true. After thinking about it a bit more I came to an
understanding that by restricting this property to DOAP we'd be
limiting ourselves and therefore broadened the scope of this property.

Happy New Year !!! :)

Uldis

[ http://captsolo.net/info/ ]