[doap-interest] doap rss feeds and change information

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun May 20 12:59:41 BST 2007

Hi everyone,

Now that I'm using my moap tool to generate rss and ical feeds for my
project releases, there is one thing that is obviously lacking.

If you take a look at http://thomas.apestaart.org/moap/releases.rss2
(generated from the DOAP file), as a news feed it is severely lacking in
news.

moap also allows me to submit to freshmeat, and again I can't add actual
news this way.

I think it would be good for DOAP to also centralize the important
features in a release, so that:
- rss and ical feeds lists why a release was made, and what it brings to
users
- submitting to freshmeat contains this same info
- NEWS files and release announcements can contain this information.

A while back there was a discussion about ChangeLog from DOAP.  That
discussion got sidetracked IMO because the original poster wrote
"ChangeLog" and used it in a different meaning than what is usually the
ChangeLog.

IMO, the ChangeLog is a much more granular level that doesn't match DOAP
- listing every functional change, and changes in source code.  However,
being able to give a list of high-level user-visible changes for every
release would fit DOAP well I think.

I am just a newbie anyway when it comes to RDF and semantic webs.  Edd,
do you think something like this is in the scope of DOAP or not ? If
not, how does one go about extending or adding a new ontology to make
this possible ?

Thanks
Thomas