[gnome-bluetooth] What stuff in gnome-bluetooth does, and ideas for its future

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Nov 3 18:07:44 GMT 2003

Hello Edd, and list,

I thought I'd answer to that mail directly, explains what we have right
now, and where we should be heading (that's my ideas, and opinion,
nothing to do with what Edd has planned).

For mucho screenies and ideas (the Ericsson GUI is what *not* to do ;)
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/08/13/bluetooth_osx.html

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 17:20, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> On request of Bastien.  May as well share this with the rest of the
> list, too.
>
> obex/gnome-obex-server
>
>  - daemon that listens for OBEX PUSH requests and receives the files.
>    future: could support OBEX FTP and offer file-sharing via Bluetooth
>            on a directory the user chooses.

Maybe integrate that in the file sharing in gnome-network?
It should really be integrated into something bigger. That's either
that, or integration in a bigger bluetooth control center.

> obex/gnome-obex-send
>
>  - a GUIified OBEX PUSH client.

We probably need this to be independant from the rest. Should it be the
same as the nautilus thing?

> python/gnome-bluetooth-admin
>
>  - the new admin tool, early stage.
>    future: will allow exploration of remote Bluetooth devices and their
>    capabilities.  Its closest analog in GNOME already is the printman
>    stuff.

That's what we need to grow.

> src/gnome-bluetooth-admin
>
>  - this should die and be replaced by python/gnome-bluetooth-admin

OK.

> src/gnome-bluetooth-control
>
>  - see my mail about Bonobo-ectomy.  This could well disappear if we
>    stop using Bonobo

Ok.

> nautilus/*
>
>  - this makes a "Send via Bluetooth" context menu option appear in
> Nautilus.

Shows up the chooser, and sends the stuff to the selected phone?

> gnome-vfs/*
>
>  - this includes the DEPRECATED gnome-vfs hack that enabled drah'n'drop
> onto OBEX PUSH in Nautilus.  This should be replaced instead by an OBEX
> FTP client, that enables true exploration of remote Bluetooth devices
> that support OBEX FTP.
>
> WISHLIST
>
>  - we need a simple prefs application, to go in the control-center,
> which should control:
>
>   * whether the gnome-obex-server runs or not, and its filesharing
> directories
>   * which local device to favour, in the case that the user has more
> than one bluetooth dongle

- Serial port / GPRS access via Bluetooth (gnome-system-tools,
redhat-config-network, etc.)
- integration in multisync (although the multisync UI sucks buttloads,
they seem to get the work done).
- Integration of bluez-pin?

Let me know what you think.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric
fan set on medium.