[gnome-bluetooth] libbtctl changes

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Sep 26 12:51:42 BST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 07:55, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 00:35, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Replying to myself,
> >
> > Attached is another patch (without a ChangeLog just yet :)
> >
> > The python bindings didn't work, and they do now.
> >
> > - rename Btctl and BtctlClass to BtctlObject and BtctlObjectClass so
> > that they're namespaced (fixes the bindings generation)
>
> OK, I see why this is needed.  For others following along at home, the
> bindings generator treats the first bit (Btctl) as a namespace and uses
> the second bit as the object name.
>
> However, this would mean the Btctl object simply became called Object(),
> as your btlist.py shows, which sucks a bit if we ever want to add
> something else into the namespace, and it is really a confusingly
> general name.  As renaming is basically a search-and-replace job, and it
> seems we must break the API/ABI, let's take the time to get it right.
>
> I suggest the name "Controller", so we get BtctlController,
> BtctlControllerClass etc, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Fine by me :)

Updated patch attached.

> > - made btctl_object_get_type return a GType (would have ended with
> > issues on 64-bit platforms)
>
> Ah cool, that's a good spot.
>
> > - added btlist.py (same as btlist.c, used to test the python bindings)
> > - fix the python module linking
> >
> > Let me know what you think (especially as it breaks bin-compat...)
>
> Thanks for your hard work!  I'm willing to break the API compat for the
> sake of the bindings.  We should probably bump the SONAME, though:
> although we've not reached 1.0 several distributions seems to have
> packaged this stuff and depend on it.

I'll let you handle the soname changes.

BTW, in the midst of this patch, I made libbtctl be shared by default,
let me know if you prefer it being static (which makes some sense, given
the current size of the library).

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
The thunder was ominous sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of
metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play.