[gnome-bluetooth] What stuff in gnome-bluetooth does, and ideas for its future

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Fri Sep 26 18:20:23 BST 2003

On request of Bastien.  May as well share this with the rest of the
list, too.

obex/gnome-obex-server

 - daemon that listens for OBEX PUSH requests and receives the files.
   future: could support OBEX FTP and offer file-sharing via Bluetooth
           on a directory the user chooses.

obex/gnome-obex-send

 - a GUIified OBEX PUSH client.

python/gnome-bluetooth-admin

 - the new admin tool, early stage.
   future: will allow exploration of remote Bluetooth devices and their
   capabilities.  Its closest analog in GNOME already is the printman
   stuff.

src/gnome-bluetooth-admin

 - this should die and be replaced by python/gnome-bluetooth-admin

src/gnome-bluetooth-control

 - see my mail about Bonobo-ectomy.  This could well disappear if we
   stop using Bonobo

nautilus/*

 - this makes a "Send via Bluetooth" context menu option appear in
Nautilus.

gnome-vfs/*

 - this includes the DEPRECATED gnome-vfs hack that enabled drah'n'drop
onto OBEX PUSH in Nautilus.  This should be replaced instead by an OBEX
FTP client, that enables true exploration of remote Bluetooth devices
that support OBEX FTP.

WISHLIST

 - we need a simple prefs application, to go in the control-center,
which should control:

  * whether the gnome-obex-server runs or not, and its filesharing
directories
  * which local device to favour, in the case that the user has more
than one bluetooth dongle

-- Edd