[gnome-bluetooth] Not able to connect to phone via infrared

Jaap Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Sun May 7 21:48:01 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 15:27 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 16:03 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to connect to my mobile phone (a Nokia 6100) with infrared.
> > If I run irdadump my computer sees the mobile phone but
> > gnome-phone-manager is not able to connect.
> >
> > I'm running ubuntu dapper with gnome phone manager 0.6. If I start up
> > gnome phone manager I get the output below the mail
> >
> > Any idea what's wrong??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jaap
> >
> > (gnome-phone-manager:5858): libglade-WARNING **: could not find widget
> > creation function
>
> Upgrade to 0.7, it fixes that bug.
>
> > ** Message: New connection device is /dev/ttyS0
>
> Infrared? That looks like the builtin serial port of your PC.
>
> > ** Message: Connecting...
> > ** Message: Status 1
> > ** Message: Making serial port connection
> > Gnokii serial_open: open: Device or resource busy
>
> It can't open /dev/ttyS0 (which I'm really not convinced is the right
> device to use).

OK I know the problem now. It's actually a problem in gnokii. It's known to
break Nokia 6100 phones over IRDA. Serial port stuff was OK. The IRDA
stuff is bound on COM1. gnokii disables itself
Received message type 1b
model length: 5
Received model NPL-2
Sorry, this function is known to break your phone (Nokia phones series
40 v1).
Refusing to do it. You may try to use AT driver. If you are brave enough
test the driver anyway, please contact developers at
gnokii-users at nongnu.org.
See also http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.gnokii/3195
GSM/FBUS init failed! (Unknown model?). Quitting

Jaap