[gnome-bluetooth] Hi again!!

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Oct 28 11:49:00 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 06:28 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> Bastien,
>
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 00:57 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 06:32 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > > I have noted though that I am yet to be able to send an SMS from my
> > > machine via a bonded phone.
> > >
> > > I know the phone is bonded fine because the correct passkey interaction
> > > happens when starting phone manager, it correctly reports the phone it
> > > is bonded to, and looking under "Browse device..." the phone is there.
> > > Moreover, I can browse the OBEX accessible filestore on the phone, so
> > > Bluetooth is working as is the OBEX connection.
> >
> > That just means Bluetooth works, nothing else.
>
> Indeed.  I have been able to use low-level Bluetooth connection for a
> while, but it is only recently that Phone Manager has actually been able
> to connect.  I can't remember whether it was the Hardy upgrade (it have
> been the Gutsy upgrade) but until then I had always got the red "can't
> connect" message, which is why I was emphathizing with OP.  It was a
> joyous day when I tried Phone Manager again and it connected.
>
> > > However whenever I try and send an SMS, I can create a message, get the
> > > phone number from the Evolution managed "phone book" but pressing send
> > > simply closes the dialogue, no attempt is made to send an SMS.
> >
> > How do you know it's not doing anything? You don't mention what type of
> > mobile phone you're using, or give us any logs from the run of
> > gnome-phone-manager.
>
> I don't know its not doing anything, but it doesn't seem to cause any
> change in state of the phone since the phone generally switches the
> display on for all state changes -- however as the connection is always
> up this may be a bad discriminator.  At the end of the day though it
> fails to send an SMS since none has been received by the phone I sent
> the SMS to.
>
> The phone is a SonyEricsson P900.
>
> Where are the logs stored?

They're not, they're only available on the command-line.

>   There appear to be no entries involving the
> string phone anywhere in /var/log and the manual page for
> gnome-phone-manager says nothing helpful in this regard.
>
> Instead of running things by clicking the entry in the menu, I ran it
> from a command line with --debug and it seemed to be in an infinite loop
> without pause.  I terminated it with a Ctrl+C.
>
> |> gnome-phone-manager --debug
> ** Message: bdaddr 00:0A:D9:E8:EA:CD
> ** Message: New connection device is 00:0A:D9:E8:EA:CD (changed)
> ** Message: New connection device is 00:0A:D9:E8:EA:CD (not changed)
> ** Message: Connecting...
> ** Message: Status 1
> ** Message: Making serial port connection
> conn_complete:	status 0x00
> LOG: debug mask is 0x1
> phone instance config:
> model = AT
> port = 00:0A:D9:E8:EA:CD
> connection = bluetooth
> initlength = default
> serial_baudrate = 19200
> serial_write_usleep = -1
> handshake = software
> require_dcd = 0
> smsc_timeout = 10
> rfcomm_channel = 2
> sm_retry = 0
> Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
<snip>
> Message sent: 0x29 / 0x000c
> 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 32 2c 31 0d             | AT+CNMI=2,1
> write: [AT+CNMI=2,1<cr>]
> Message received: 0x29 / 0x0015
> 03 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 32 2c 31 0d 0d 0a 45 |  AT+CNMI=2,1   E
> 52 52 4f 52 0d                                  | RROR
> Received message type 29
> Message sent: 0x29 / 0x000c
> 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 31 2c 31 0d             | AT+CNMI=1,1
> write: [AT+CNMI=1,1<cr>]
> Message received: 0x29 / 0x0015
> 03 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 31 2c 31 0d 0d 0a 45 |  AT+CNMI=1,1   E
> 52 52 4f 52 0d                                  | RROR
> Received message type 29
> Message sent: 0x29 / 0x000c
> 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 30 2c 31 0d             | AT+CNMI=0,1
> write: [AT+CNMI=0,1<cr>]
> Message received: 0x29 / 0x0015
> 03 41 54 2b 43 4e 4d 49 3d 30 2c 31 0d 0d 0a 45 |  AT+CNMI=0,1   E
> 52 52 4f 52 0d                                  | RROR
> Received message type 29
> ** Message: driver or phone doesn't support sms notifications

The phone doesn't seem to support any sort of SMS notification through
+CNMI, using the current gnokii code. You should contact the gnokii
mailing-list with this log, they should be able to help you with
debugging this. I believe +CNMI mode 3 should work on Sony Ericsson
phones.

<snip>
> and so on ad infinitum -- I guess, I haven't actually waited that long.
> Of course, this might be correct behaviour even though the work ERROR
> appears.  However, given that SMS sending doesn't work, I'd place a
> small wager that the ERROR is significant.

+CPAS is about asking the device for Call Status. It shouldn't matter
whether it doesn't work.

I don't see anywhere in the logs where it would create a new message.
But you'll need the latest version of gnokii to fix a number of possible
problems with encoding on Sony Ericsson phones.

> > > (Is it correct that the Bluetooth connection is kept up all the time?
> > > My phone flashes  as thoughn it is -- not a problem except that it means
> > > I have to plug the phone into the mains !)
> >
> > Yes. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to know when you receive an SMS.
>
> I just tried the experiment and even though Phone Manager is running and
> connection to the phone made and the phone recognizes the Bluetooth
> connection is running, and Phone Manager has "pop-up window on new
> message" selected, the arrival of the message on the phone doesn't
> prompt any action from Phone Manager.

See above.

Cheers