[gnome-bluetooth] troubleshooting gps over bluetooth?

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Sat May 15 18:01:35 CEST 2010

Am Samstag, den 15.05.2010, 16:09 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 16:42 +0200, Alexey Fisher wrote:
> > >
> > > If you managed to pair your device with your computer, then there's
> > > nothing more that gnome-bluetooth can do.
> >
> > The problem is, gnome-bluetooth do not pair it. it only add to know
> > device list.
>
> The device is called WBT-201:
> http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/product_detail.php?pro_id=65

Yes this is the device, and i never used pin to connect it.

> I cannot find the manual for that device telling me which PIN you're
> supposed to use. And you're not telling me what exact steps you've taken
> to pair the device.
>
> Why doesn't it pair it? Did you set a PIN in the Bluetooth set up?

I do fallowing steps. Start "New devise" wizard. Choice device from the
list, (tryed different pin options, and only 1234 will fail). Set "Use
this device for Geolocation services". Close

Now it is in the device list, but conection indicator on the gps
receiver indicate - it is disconnected.

if i use "rfcomm connect 4" indicator show - connected.

So the question is,  should i expect "Geolocation services" some haw
work and  what ist it? Should receiver be connected by adding it to list
of know devices? Should it work with geoclue and haw?

I can use this receiver per cli but why, if there is bluetooth manager?

> >  The /dev/rfcomm will not appear with gnome-bluetooth.
>
> Why should it? Properly written gps daemons (like gypsy) will talk
> through Bluetooth natively, without the need to go through a serial port
> emulation in the kernel, or creating that serial port by hand.

Gypsy is not packaged by default in ubuntu, and gnome-bluetooth do not
say i should install it to use. I try to use geoclue-gpsd but this do
not make any difference.
If you google for solutions "gps bluetooth linux" each person try to us
g-b and find it not working, after this fallow cli "workaround". IMHO,
if g-b should not providing this option it should say it.

Regards.