R: [phpxmlrpc] phpxmlrpc with \n caracters

Gaetano Giunta giunta.gaetano at sea-aeroportimilano.it
Tue Nov 30 09:38:03 PST 2004

AFAIK there should be no problems with \n cahracters.

The xml spec (section 2.1.1) dictates that newlines inside xml element text be normalized to \n, and this is what happens dutifully with the php xmlrpc lib:

if the server sends this string:
" a\n b\r\n c\r d\n\r e"

the client will receive
" a\n b\n c\n d\n\n e"

I just tried this on my box and it works (I use a patched version of the lib, but it has nothing to do with string encoding)

1) Is the client you are talking about a phpxmlrpc client?

2) Is it on a windows box? If so take care: if e.g. the client saves the string to a text file and then you open it with notepad, the \n line endings instead of \r\n will be misunderstood.

ciao
Gaetano