[phpxmlrpc] How to start/stop XML-RPC server?

Ken Almond ken at AlmondEnterprises.com
Tue Dec 25 06:35:52 EST 2012

Hi

Apache (when configured) loads a php.so module - so PHP is 'loaded' (ready
to go) as part of apache startup.

Yes, when HTTP hits Apache, the server.php file is loaded (on each HTTP
request).     Since php.so module is already running as part of apache
startup - its 'very fast' BUT you do want to keep server.php files smaller
(1,000(s) of lines) instead of 50,000(s) of lines.     We used a URL name
space to have multiple server.php files - e.g.    http://host/login.php
(login.php is a server.php file),   http://host/accounts.php,   etc. -  e.g.
1 'server.php' for grouping of web services.   The login.php and
account.php, and x.php and y.php can call into shared library.php(s) but
again, overall, keep the #includes smaller so each server.php is not 'too
large'.     We achieved average 10ms (where php called MSSQL inside)
response time for 1,000(s) of simultaneous users on single apache server.

Bonus tip

We put 1st apache server in DNZ zone (publically available for URL) and then
used apache reverse proxy over to internal apache that that actually called
the server.php(s) for very strong protection.    Worked very well.     Then
as we grew, we used the reverse proxy to load balance - but apache also has
other forms of load balance.

Good Luck

Ken