[redland-dev] redland-bindings packaging

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 08:03:09 BST 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on a Fink (<http://fink.sf.net>) package for
> Redland and its bindings.

Great!  Are you going to package raptor & rasqal too?  I'd
prefer they are separate so that people can use them outside
redland.

>  It seems like the 'make install' rule ignores
> optional given prefix.
>
> For instance :
>
>    >> make install prefix=/pouet
>    Making install in python
>    Making install in test
>    make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
>    make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
>    make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
>    mkdir -p -- . /sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages
>    /usr/bin/install -c Redland.so
> /sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Redland.so
>
> Where I would expect the last two lines to be:
>    mkdir -p -- . /pouet/lib/python2.3/site-packages
>    /usr/bin/install -c Redland.so
> /pouet/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Redland.so
>
> If somebody considers implementing this, this would ease maintenance of
> the packages. Otherwise, I can still workaround this.

I think what you need already exists.  You can use the DESTDIR
makefile variable to force the install to go to a different
place while packaging.

(untested)
./configure --prefix=/sw   # final destination
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/abc   # where the packages are being built

You can see this used in the RPM packaging for redland-bindings in
redland-bindings.spec (redland.spec, raptor.spec, ...)

Cheers

Dave