[redland-dev] MainMem vs DBMS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Aug 17 17:17:40 BST 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 05:23:55PM +0200, Irvine Keans wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've done some tests with redland and got some unexpected results. I hope that you can help me.
>
> I tried to parse 3 ontologies. Once in main memory and once in a mySQL database system.
>
> The unexpected thing is, that the parsing into the DBMS take only a part of the time that parsing into main memory needs. But why?

Probably because a large chunk of the work is in storing efficient
memory stores so that they can be accessed, which, if you're using a
database, is taken care of you by the backing store. The in-memory store
is, in my experience, designed mostly to be used for small models (<5k
statements) at which point it works relatively well, but anything beyond
that and you're going to run into problems.

I could, of course, be wrong, but that's been my experience. dajobe can
probably offer more technical advice on the topic.

-- Chris