[redland-dev] Python/SQLite Model.load() performance

Matt Chaput matt at sidefx.com
Fri Nov 3 23:46:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

I downloaded the Redland python bindings (1.03 binary package for
Windows from the download section of the website).

I tried importing the RDF XML dump from my current solution into a
Redland model backed by a SQLite store.

ie.

 >>> s = RDF.Storage(storage_name="sqlite", name="test.db",
option_string="")
 >>> m = RDF.Model(s)
 >>> m.load("test.rdf")

(BTW there's a bug in the documentation where it doesn't mention that
option_string is required, and the error message you get if you don't
include it is needlessly cryptic ("illegal arguments"))

I realize that the SQLite store is optimized for space (which is
fantastic, and exactly the reason I'm thinking of switching to Redland),
but importing 4.4MB of XML data took _over an hour_ on a fast machine.
Meanwhile, the CPU never broke 4% the entire time, which makes me
suspect I hit some kind of bug.

Anyone know what might be going on? Has anyone else used Python and
SQLite with Redland lately and seen or not seen anything like this?

Thanks for your help!

Matt